A website is only as good as the number of people that visit it. The internet is full of millions of websites. Many of them are ignored. If a person has created an online shopping website, not having any visitors probably is a sign that the website is a failure. Much of the ability to attract visitors to a website is dependent on the website design. A well-designed website is not only functional it is also very searchable.
A searchable website is one that appears on the first one or two pages of relevant searches. This is achieved through the ranking of the website. The search engines use algorithms to rank websites. The higher a ranking a website, the more searchable it becomes and the more visitors it will attract. When it comes to getting a higher ranking the most common thing that is used is search engine optimization. This involves including many tools that raise the ranking of the website.
Many will start an e-commerce website with a template they find on the internet. These templates are not very good at utilizing SEO techniques. It is better to turn to an agency that specializes in online website design to get the most out of a website. It may also be worthwhile to turn to a local agency when trying to attract local visitors to a website. Sometimes hiring the best web design company in London is the right way to go.
No matter who is going to be involved in the web designing and the web development, there are several SEO tools that should be included.
- Meta Tags – These are short description or title found on the pages of the website. They are usually limited to under 160 characters and should include some basic keywords within them to help them as they are searched.
- Title Tags – Similar to the meta tags these play a part in the indexing of a website. It is often the first thing that the search engine looks at. A simple keyword is a good idea for the title tag but too many could cause problems.
- Images with alt attributes – An image can help with SEO but if a short description is used with the image, it can help even more. The text should be relevant to the image. Search engines do not see the image, but they can recognize the description.
- Sitemaps – A site map is a section of the website that lists all of the different pages of the site. An XML sitemap can help with the indexing of the website on the search engine. It should include all the pages a priority of the pages and the date the pages were modified last.
- Relevant material – Adding content to a website can help build its search engine ranking. It makes sense to only add content that is related to the main purpose of the website. The content can include all of the things that make a site more searchable. Title tags meta tags and keywords can all be included in the relevant content.
- Links – Getting links to website from another site not only helps build traffic, it also helps improve the ranking on the search engine. Many people will take a shortcut and get links from anywhere they can, but this can be a mistake. If the links are in the form of spam, it can hurt the ranking. A professional in online marketing will know how to build the links that will help a website and not hurt it.
- Social Media – The power social media is not something that can or should be ignored. Building relationships with the many different social media websites is difficult and time consuming, but the rewards are plentiful. Websites can become connected to others through the social media websites.
Once a person starts to learn the different SEO techniques, they may think that it is simple to start adding them to their website. They will splash their website with keywords and meta tags. They will include lot so images with descriptions attached to them. They will build a network of links with any site they can find. They will do all of this without a plan and without much thought. They will think that the more they do, the higher their ranking will get.
That is not the way that SEO techniques work. It is often much more about quality than it is quantity. They will add things to their website that cannot be seen by the search engines and that do not work.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com